EC DG Education and Culture: Thematic Working Group on Modernisation of Higher Education, August 2013-: Core Expert and Rapporteur
EC/DG Education and Culture: Network of Independent Education Experts, October 2014 - November 2015, Representative for Higher Education in France
Central University of Technology CUT, South Africa: Entrepreneurship Education Strategy, January 2014- April 2015, Core expert and Rapporteur
EC/DG Education and Culture, ICT in Widening Participation in Education, March 2015 - May 2015, Expert for Finland
Finnish Ministry of Education and Culture/Technopolis: Review of Finnish Higher Education, October 2014 - March 2015, Expert
Public Education Evaluation Council, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, The first Evaluation of KSA School Districts, October 2014, Core Expert
HEInnovate: Building Entrepreneurial Universities, January 2014 - March 2015, Core Expert
OECD/LEED: The Review on Universities, Entrepreneurship and Local Economic Development in Moravia-Silesia, Czech Republic, November 2013 - November 2014, Core Expert
Council of Europe: Three Country Audit of the Lower Secondary Education for Democratic Citizenship and Human Rights Education, July-December 2013: Core Expert and Rapporteur
CONEEECT: Improving Entrepreneurship Education across Europe, July 2013, Munich, Germany: Trainer and Coach
EC DG Research & Innovation: The Role of Universities and Research Centres in the Smart Specialisation Process, June-December2013: Member of the Expert Team
King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) and Association of University Research Parks (AURP): Understanding Science Towns, May-June 2013
Finland-Egypt Twinning Project: Improving the Accreditation and Quality Assurance and Accreditation System, September 2013
International Leadership Programme for the Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod, Russia, Session on Higher Education in Regional Innovation – Reforming curricula, June 2013, EFMD, Brussels, Belgium
2005-2013 – OECD ANALYST AND PROJECT MANAGER
focus areas: Higher Education, HE management and governance, widening access and improving success in HE, Improving learning outcomes and graduate employment, Knowledge production/transfer & partnerships, Urban and regional development
- Developed and led large scale OECD projects such as TALIS (Teaching and Learning International Survey) and Reviews of Higher Education in Regional and City Development that engaged hundreds of higher education institutions and systems in 35 cities and regions in over 20 countries.
- Analysed and advised national and local governments and universities in strategic management, knowledge-based development, entrepreneurship, university-industry collaboration and community engagement.
- Led a network of more than 30 regional coordinators and recruited and led 50 experts from diverse academic and professional backgrounds in international reviews.
- Led 15 international review visits.
- Successfully raised funding Raised close to 2.5 million euros for the work in the context of global economic and financial crisis.
- Presented and organised high level international conferences and academic workshops and seminars.
2002-2005 - REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT MANAGER/HEAD OF PR, MARKETING & COMMUNICATION, Turku University of Applied Sciences, Turku (Finland)
- Developed a new function and division of the university as a response to the legal responsibility of Finnish universities for “third mission” activities.
- Matched the university faculty with business and public sector organisation to design entrepreneurial knowledge transfer programmes and student work-based learning opportunities.
- Initiated and developed the university’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) system and key indicators. Designed and drafted the CSR report that gained national recognition as Finland’s best public sector CSR report (2004).
- Led and upgraded the university PR, marketing & communication functions in the context of an institutional merger. Re-organised the operations and shifted the focus from marketing towards communication, stakeholder management and fundraising, leading to considerable cost savings and increase in positive media coverage.
- Developed and designed learning material for woman entrepreneurship and organized conferences in collaboration with the Finnish Broadcasting Company YLE: Publications:
- Adamsson, Virpi and Puukka J. (2005) VIMMA – Naisten yrittäjätarinoita Turun seudulta. Turun ammattikorkeakoulun oppimateriaaleja, Turku (The Zeal - Stories of Women entrepreneurs in the Turku Region. Learning Material for the Turku University of Applied Sciences, Turku)
- Adamsson, Virpi and Puukka J. (2004) IHME – Yrittäjätarinoita Loimaan Seudulta. Turun ammattikorkeakoulun oppimateriaaleja,Turku. (The Miracle - Stories of Entrepreneurship in the Loimaa Region. Learning Material for the Turku University of Applied Sciences)
Organisation of OECD roundtables
4th OECD Roundtable on Regional and City Development: Universities for skills, entrepreneurship, innovation and growth”, 19-20 September 2012, OECD, Paris, France
3rd OECD Roundtable on Higher Education in Regional and City Development, 15-16 September 2010, OECD, Paris, France
2nd OECD Roundtable on Higher Education in Cities and Regions, 10-11 September 2009, OECD, Paris, France
1st OECD Roundtable on Higher Education in Regional and City Development, 10-11 September 2008, OECD, Paris, France
Organisation of international conferences
OECD conference Globally Competitive, Locally engaged – Higher Education and Regions, 19-21 September 2007, Polytechnic University of Valencia UPV, Spain
OECD conference Higher Education in Cities and Regions: For Stronger, Cleaner and Fairer Regions, 10-11 February 2011, University of Seville, Spain
NUS/NUAS/IMHE Conference Does Size Matter? Universities Competing in a Global Market, 4-7 June 2008, Reykjavik, Iceland
IMHE Conference Supporting the Higher Education Institutions’ Contribution to Regional Development. Wrap-up Conference for Participating Regions, 16-17 October 2006, Copenhagen Business School, Denmark
Organisation of panel sessions in international conferences
2012 IMHE General Conference, Attaining and Sustaining Mass Higher Education, Session on Higher Education in Regional and City Development: Building Stronger, Fairer and Cleaner Regions, 17-18 September, OECD, Paris, France
2010 IMHE General Conference: Higher Education in a World Changed Utterly: Doing More with Less. Session on How to Lead an Entrepreneurial and Locally Engaged University? 13-15 September 2010, OECD, Paris, France
2009 IMHE conference: Higher Education at a Time of Crisis: Challenges and Opportunities: Session on Local Perspectives to Global Challenges, 29-30 June 2009, Copenhagen, Denmark
2008 IMHE General Conference: Outcomes of Higher Education: Quality, Relevance and Impact, 8-10 September 2008, OECD, Paris, France
OECD CELE conference “Higher Education: Spaces and Places for Learning, Innovation and Knowledge Transfer”, 21-23 May 2008, Helsinki University of Technology, Finland
Education, innovation, higher education, regional development, evaluation, science parks, third mission, community engagement, triple helix, smart specialisation, clusters, knowledge triangle
Read OECD Insights blog...
OECD's blog on global perspectives on education. Much more on education...
University World News: the global window on higher education...
UK-based think tank in innovation...
Click on the cover to view the reports...